Add the WNBA to the list of professional sports leagues that Amazon wants to help showcase via its Prime Video streaming platform.
Amazon and the WNBA reached a multi-year agreement giving Prime Video exclusive global streaming rights to 16 WNBA games per season. The deal will feature a streamed game each week during the regular season, as well as the inaugural Commissioner’s Cup game on Aug.12.
It marks the first time Prime Video has exclusive global streaming rights to a women’s professional sports league and when coverage starts on May 29 for the game between the Atlanta Dream and New York Liberty, it will be the first time Amazon has exclusive international streaming rights to a professional basketball game.
Amazon already has a deal with the NFL to stream “Thursday Night Football” and with Seattle Sounders FC to stream that team’s MLS games. Prime Video is also home to Premier League soccer. Now Amazon will add the league that includes the four-time champion Seattle Storm — with games from that hometown team streaming on June 4, Aug. 20 and Sept. 2.
“The WNBA is one of the premier professional sports leagues in the world and serves as an inspiration to millions of young and aspiring athletes everywhere,” Marie Donoghue, vice president of Global Sports Video at Amazon, said in a statement. “I am delighted we are bringing these outstanding athletes and games to Prime Video.”
The WNBA on Prime Video will be available across compatible devices as part of a Prime membership.
Here’s the schedule of 2021 WNBA Games on Prime Video:
- Saturday, May 29 – Atlanta @ New York, 2 p.m. ET
- Friday, June 4 – Dallas @ Seattle, 10 p.m. ET
- Saturday, June 12 – Chicago @ Indiana, 1 p.m. ET
- Wednesday, June 16 – Phoenix @ Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, June 22 – Chicago @ New York, 7 p.m. ET
- Wednesday, June 30 – Las Vegas @ Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m. ET
- Thursday, July 1 – Connecticut @ Indiana, 7 p.m. ET
- Wednesday, July 7 – Phoenix @ Las Vegas, 10 p.m. ET
- Saturday, July 10 – Washington @ Chicago, 8 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, Aug. 17 – Minnesota @ Connecticut, 7 p.m. ET
- Friday, Aug. 20 – Seattle @ New York, 7 p.m. ET
- Thursday, Aug. 26 – Dallas @ Washington, 7 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, August 31 – New York @ Minnesota, 8 p.m. ET
- Thursday, Sep. 2 – New York @ Seattle, 10 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, Sept. 7 – Connecticut @ Dallas, 8 p.m. ET
- Thursday, Sept. 16 – Los Angeles @ Atlanta, 7 p.m. ET
Originally published at https://www.geekwire.com/2021/amazon-stream-wnba-games-prime-video-tech-giants-latest-deal-with-pro-sports-league/ on .